Fortune Cat is known as Maneki Neko in Japanese, which means “beckoning cat.” The cat has its paw raised as if it’s waving in good fortune for its owners. In Japan the beckoning motion is different than most Western countries, almost the opposite. Other common monikers include Lucky Cat, Money Cat, Waving Cat and Welcoming Cat.
While you’ll most commonly see a white Maneki Neko with orange and black spots, there are quite a few color variations of the Maneki Neko and they each have a special meaning.
- Calico: Traditional color combination, considered to be the luckiest
- White: Happiness, purity and positive things to come
- Gold: Wealth and prosperity
- Black: Wards off evil spirits
- Red: Success in love and relationships
- Green: Good health
You can learn more about Maneki Neko HERE
Our Lucky Maneki Neko are made from a plastic to keep them durable and safe from damage while being able to be placed anywhere. They have a built in solar charger to keep the Lucky Cat waving and bringing good fortune without getting tired.
Bringing Japan to you... From our home to yours.